Monday 19 November 2012

Thrifting Spree - Best Thrift Stores Toronto

 
As I was watching "My shopping Addiction" on TLC and reevaluating oh-too-similar behaviour the addicts were displaying causing me to consider an intervention, I was distracted by a shopper who only shopped in second hand stores. She was scoring Dior, Prada, Gucci Purses for mere $60! 
 
Seeing this I can hear my mother's lecture to us about not forgetting we were raised on clothing from Goodwill when our heads got too big for our own good! You see my parents came to Toronto from the Philippines with very little. But with hard work my parents became an immigrant success story.
 


Baby Me!

Funny how things come full circle! After years of spending thousands of dollars on regular retail you can find me now with my mother shopping in these same secondhand stores I loathed growing up, looking for  treasures and unique, quality clothing that I can guarantee will not have a "who wore it best" showdown.
 
But with everything, there is a right way and a wrong way. I called my reliable shopping buddy Foxy and got her pumped to do a mass thrift store shopping spree!
 
Here are some tips to prepare for thrifting because Knowledge is Power!
 
1.  Brand Me 
Having a great photogenic memory and being an avid shopper I am well versed in brands. Make sure to research brands and their specialities and average price points, this will help you correctly assess the value in a item. Example a Topshop dress priced $9.99 (retails $70) vs. an Ted Baker dress priced $9.99 (retails $250) . Also be careful! Some big brands although well know and advertised produce cheap mass produced items. Which brings me to my next tip....

 
2. Know how to recognise Quality
Knowing the difference between real leather and distressed Pleather is necessary. The imitations are getting better and better so knowing the telltale signs will help you recognise the treasures among the mass amounts of cheaply manufactured clothing. Keep an eye on stitching, seaming and details. Quality items in a second hand store have survived use after use because they are made well.
 
3. Size is nothing but a Number
Don't limit yourself to a size. Depending on the maker yo might be smaller or bigger than the size you think. If something catches your eye, TRY IT ON!


4. Apply to Memberships and Mailing Lists
All of the thrift stores have sles going on all the time.
Goodwill has 75% tag sales and 50% off Everything sales.
Value Village has 50% off once a month, membership cards and stamp cards. Salvation Army has coupons on thier website.


5. Keep an Open Mind
 Stain on the sleeve of a Blazer? Signs of wear on the knee of jeans? If you love it, Ask for a discount! By sewing a silk scarf on the inside of the blazer's arms and rolling it up... Voila! and taking a cheese grater to  the jeans you get a great distressed look!


 I will be posting my finds and reviews on the stores we visit and a map of the locations.

Stay tuned and Happy Thrifting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment